Third Party Candidates and Topics of Interest
By Ashleigh Hill
Last Tuesday night I attended the Free and Equal Debate, which gave Jill Stein (Green Party), Rocky Anderson (Justice Party), Virgil Goode (Constitution Party), and Gary Johnson (Libertarian Party) a platform on which to speak. I’m not a fan of our current (supposedly) democratic, two-party system and when I heard Jill Stein was arrested for trying to be a part of the televised debates, even though she and Gary Johnson are legally allowed to be involved due to the number of ballots they will be on in November, I got pretty frustrated.
Two friends and I made a list of topics that these third party candidates addressed that we did not hear mentioned in the televised debates (please let me know if I’m wrong, I admittedly did not watch 100% of every debate).
Topics Mentioned by Third Party Candidates That Were Not Mentioned by the Republican or Democrat Candidates in Any of the Three Televised Debates
– War on drugs
– Connection between money & oil
– Questioning the use of drones
– Climate change
– The Patriot Act
– Marijuana & hemp restrictions
– Drugs as a public health issue, not just an individual one
– Incarceration & the large percentage of Americans in prison on minor charges
– The possibility of friendship with the Middle East
– The possibility & limits of free, post-secondary education
– Governmental term limits
– Civil rights issues
– Gender identity & sexuality-based discrimination
– Marriage equality
– The corporations as people mentality
It’s also notable that, even though the stakes were understandably different in this debate, all candidates were friendly and non-combative.
Topics We Would Like Someone of Any Party to Mention
– Race & ethnicity & their connection to the war on drugs & poverty
– Race & incarceration rates
– Women’s rights issues (other than equal pay & abortion)
– Specificities of healthcare plans
– Violence & immigration
– Immigration & human trafficking
Thoughts? What would you like to hear mentioned?